Saturday, April 10, 2010

Annenberg Space for Photography

I went to the Annenberg Space for Photography today. There was a National Geographic exhibit featuring images of water, (or lack there of) on display. I had never been to the Annenberg. The space is smaller than I expected. The Annenberg is comprised of print gallery walls surrounding a large multimedia digital gallery in the center of the space. I felt it was difficult to view the print images in this setup. I like being able to back up and view images from a distance, but this was not so easily done. The corridors also funneled you in a particular direction as opposed to letting you roam freely. The digital gallery is well designed and unusual for a photography space to feature so prominently. National Geographic videos were playing on many screens and there was ample sitting area from which to view them. As for the images of water, there were some very nice ones by John Stanmeyer and Edward Burtynsky. I really like the concept of a Water Exhibit, but I'm not sure they pulled it off here. The Annenberg is truly a unique experience and I would suggest anyone interested in photography to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment